Thursday, September 22, 2011

An amusing narrative of my klutziness topped off with some questions...



I recently went on a trip to Mabira Rainforest with my class to collect data on, well, trees. Let me just start this off by saying that yes, this is the kind of forest where there are snakes, freaky bugs, massive spider webs, and so many trees you can't really see the sky and so many vines and underbrush that you can't see the ground.

It was muddy. It was slippery. There were mammoth tree roots protruding from the ground which we fought our way over in rubber boots. They were slippery, too. I am a klutz… It was only a matter of time before I fell. And so I was waiting for it; I was just waiting for an epic, spectacular fall. It seemed almost inevitable. I made it through the first three days of the trip, fighting through underbrush where you’re not meant to pass unless you’re doing research. For the record, fighting through an untraveled stretch of rain forest is not easy. The picture below is like what we walked through, only we were walking uphill... and yes I do mean the dense foresty part


\







And so when I was required to climb up a 45 degree hill of pure mud (honestly, no rocks, no tree roots) it did not surprise me that I wiped out and did a face plant. The more funny part was that my backpack had gotten stuck on one of the many climber vines which hung down from the sky (okay from other trees but still). So when someone was helpful and lifted up that vine, I started sliding backwards down the hill until someone very nicely grabbed a hold of me and lifted me up.

With my spectacular fall out of the way, I trudged up the 45 degree slope fighting through underbrush so dense you could not see your feet, confident that I would not fall again. That was up until we started coming down the hill… I stepped off a dead, decomposing, splintered, creaking, hollow tree trunk and stepped down into the underbrush. The problem with not seeing the ground through the underbrush is that you can’t, well, see the ground. I put my foot down; the distance between the tree trunk and the ground was greater than I had expected, and of course the mud sucked my boot straight in. Yes, I fell backwards, landing on my shoulders. Well, I’m a klutz, what else was I expecting? So I tried to get up. Of course, this is a tropical rainforest. The underbrush contains about 5 trillion vines just waiting to grab you. I stood up, and quickly fell again. At this point I finely wizened up and so I untangled my feet from some of the vines which were on my boots. I stood. I was pulled back to the ground again. I untangled myself more. I stood. I was pulled back to the ground again. Finally I found the culprit: a woody vine with a death grip on my boot. I fought my way out of the underbrush onto the “path” we had trampled on our way up the hill. Thankfully, I walked down without further epic falls.

Then the afternoon came. Pleased to be finished with our data collection, we retraced our steps for some photo ops. Because I felt like it, my friend Valeriya and I trudged across an over flowing rushing stream and climbed up that same disastrous amount of mud which was responsible for my first fall. But I made it up that time, and so did my friend. On our way down, we had a feeling we might fall, and so we said we would fall down together. When I reached out to take her hand she shoved me, sending me slipping part way down. The same vine which had caught me earlier caught me again. When I tried to get up, though, I of course slipped and slid down the remainder of the hill on my shoulders. I landed with my knees bent up over my head.

Valeriya and I trudged back across the stream, and then I decided to start splashing her for revenge. We had a water fight for a while, and then she pushed me down and I landed with my face in the stream. I was soaked. My other friend Jordan then attacked Valeriya and took her up the hill on the other side of the stream. I won’t go into details, but the whole thing ended with Valeriya pulling me down into the mud, pinning me down, and Jordan throwing a pile of mud on my nose and mouth.

I just laughed, to the amazement of our chaperone, my favorite teacher. He encouraged me to keep a smile, and I did. There is video evidence of all of this, and the video has actually been a good thing for me because it’s shown that I have a not-so-serious side.

Since then, though, I’ve been thinking a lot about falling. I’ve come up with so many questions. No, I’m not talking about physically tumbling… But what happens when you end up sliding down pure mud with your legs up over your head? Is it okay to fall? You’re trained as a missionary kid that it’s not okay, that you have to be the example, that you can never slip. And so I fight not to. I have avoided doing so many things (and not all of them are actually bad) simply because I thought an MK wasn’t meant to do them.

But is life staying in the city, walking paved sidewalks? Or is life taking the risk that you may fall?

Or are you supposed to do what I have always tried: walk on a tight rope and never let yourself fall?

And then the question becomes where is God when you fall? Is He the vine that caught me, and dropped me, twice?

Is He the friend who picked me up?

Is he the vine that had a death grip on me when I stepped off the log?

Is He the friend who through mud on my face to top off the experience?

Is he my encouraging and supportive teacher?

Or is He just standing back and laughing at me making a fool of myself?

And speaking of all of this, really, am I allowed to ask these questions? If I ask this, will you think I’m falling? Because what if I am? I’m not saying I am, I’m just asking.

I guess I walked away from the week with the knowledge that falling can be entertaining, for me and for everyone else. I guess that maybe it’s ok, as long as you can pick yourself up, brush yourself off, and walk away with a smile. But the question remains… does the rest of the world think it’s the worst thing in the world if I slip a little?

4 comments:

  1. I don't know about the rest of the world, but I think it's great that you're asking these questions. A couple things come to mind.
    I heard somewhere that you know your kids are mature enough to make wise decisions when they know their hearts (and sinful nature) well enough to doubt their hearts.
    If mks, pks or anyone thinks they can make it without falling, that's pride and sets them (us) for much worse than a slip in the mud. God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble. And if anyone says he is without sin he deceives himself and the truth is not in him. But, if we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness. (I would give you exact verses, but I'm on my phone while I put my baby to bed and I just don't have that capability right now.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Catherine. Thanks for accepting and helping answer the questions :)
    You're right about it being prideful to think you can do it without falling. I guess a lot of people just expect us to make it no matter what (I'm sure you had your fair share of that). I guess the secret is learning to live on God's grace, and hope that the rest of the world has that much grace too, but I guess all grace comes from God anyways, so if someone does not have grace then that's as much of a reflection on them...
    I love those verses. I don't know what your experience as a pk was like, but I do feel like a lot of people expect mks and pks to walk on a tight rope without falling off And then it's like the assumption is that you're no longer Christian if you fall off, when maybe God's grace is the safety net underneath. I don't know, I hope that doesn't sound super cheesy.
    Thank you for that encouragement. It is more appreciated than you know :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are definitely risks on paved sidewalks in any city, as well, whether it's dodging boda-bodas in Kampala or figuring out how to do justice, love mercy, and walk humbly with God in Seattle streets. In addition to affirming that (some) people will still love you when (because it is when, as you have already learned) you fall, I want to encourage you too that we do not necessarily have to seek out the exotic in order to be faithful, or to be in danger of falling. Especially with your family's series of adventures and dedicated service, I imagine it is tempting to think that only something akin to your evocative description of Mabira can be serious discipleship. If you do go on to pursue your own similar adventures, that's great and God will surely give you strength and grace, but if you simply get a job and/or raise a family in small-town USA, God will also bring opportunities for service and faithful witness. Your first pair of questions brought all this to mind, so I just thought I would offer it. Not sure how well it fits with where you're at or how much sense it makes, but there you have it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Actually, that really does fit in with my general questions about life, the universe, and everything right now, so thank you for writing that! I worry sometimes that I may not live up to my potential by having a nice, simple life. Thanks for the reminder that I don't have to do something"exotic" and major in order to have an important life. Hehe, somehow you read my mind on some of this stuff! Thanks :) Hope you and Landon are enjoying your life in the States!

    ReplyDelete